Monday, January 10, 2011

Beach Road

Visakhapatnam is on the east coast of India so naturally we live close to a beach. The first picture on the last post was taken on Beach Road just about a kilometer from our house. I went down there on Jan 8 with a few girls from the program and almost as soon as we got out of the rikshaw we were swarmed by Indian tweeny bopper girls who wanted pictures of us, with us, and some even wanted autographs because we're American. Weird. Anybody who knows me knows I'm not the most enthused person when it comes to taking pictures, or snaps as they are called here, so this was definitely a new experience. It was like we were celebrities but without all the perks of wealth and connections. 

After we slipped away from our adoring fans, we walked along the beach. To be quite frank, its nicer than I expected, but I still didn't wade in. We continued walking until we came to a giant baby statue. Yep, you read that right. A giant baby statue. Don't ask me why it was there. I looked for some sort of placard explaining this phenomenon but apparently you don't have to explain things like a giant baby statue in India.

Across the street we saw a lifesize red dragon statue so naturally we climbed on and started taking snaps. My favorite of the day though would have to be the gargantuan cutout directly in front of it. I have no idea who the man is but I just had to get a picture with him. This just absolutely made my day. 

India is filled with random things like this and jarring juxtapositions and I can't quite to discover them.

4 comments:

  1. India is weird. Glad to hear you are finally a rock star!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link to your blog, Glo! I love the pictures and descriptions of the interesting things you are encountering.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha!!! I'm totally cracking up about the giant baby and how you wrote about it all random and nonchalant just like it was in real life. I love that they call pics "snaps" and funny about the celebrity thing...same thing happened to me all the time in China! It's so weird!

    ReplyDelete